Current Mood: CC is listening to: The Big Day--Jim Chappell (In Search of the Magic) See, if they explained statistics this way all the time there'd be no problem :-). This is from "Business Statistics Demystified" by Steven M. Kemp:
Figure 7-4 illustrates why we do not generally use vertical mirrored bar charts. Here, we see a diagram showing the difference of ethnic diversity and opportunity between the free peoples of Middle-Earth and the dominion of the Dark Lord, Sauron, in J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. In each society, those who achieve the highest honor are members of "the nine." For the good peoples, this is the nine walkers; for the evil Land of Mordor, this is the nine riders.
If we note that there is, in fact, a diverse population of goblins (or, to use the more proper term, orcs), trolls, evil men, evil wizards, spiders, and others who all support the Dark Lord, we realize that this is a society with a glass ceiling. Sauron will allow only undead to rise to the highest positions of power, leadership, and recognition, becoming members of the nine riders. While statistics cannot establish causality, it may be the case that this inequality of opportunity is one of the aspects of Sauron’s realm which causes it legitimately to be considered evil.
And I'm like, "Ohhh well why didn't they explain it this way in the first place :-)?"
Current Mood: CC is listening to: Arapaho Firelight--Jim Chappell (Dusk) "...A rotatable design is one in which the variance of the predicted response is a function of the distance from the center of the design, not the direction..."
Current Mood: CC is listening to: another online Six Sigma module (only 7 modules left :-D!) When Steve and I were in Manila, my brother Noel introduced us to this Nintendo DS game called Rhythm Tengoku Gold. Steve and I got TOTALLY addicted to it.
The premise is very simple: follow the rhythm, keep the timing.
Simple? You'd think :-). Here's a set of commercials about it :-). It's got all those games and more (lots LOTS more). It's awesome :-).
When I play the game I look like that guy in the end. My entire body has to move to keep with the rhythm :-).
Our own copy arrived in the mail yesterday (yay!). The English version is slated to come out in Q4 2008, but we can't wait that long :-). We'll use the Japanese version until then :-).
Current Mood: CC is listening to: a Six Sigma online module Happiness is having a favorite classic movie in common. Steve loves Singin' in the Rain as much as I do. We watch it once a year, no fail, usually during Christmas. But we ended up watching it again just a few weeks ago.
Steve didn't notice this: during scenes like Good Mornin', I snuck a look at him just to see his reactions. I mean, he's seen this movie with me every year. Was he watching the movie with me tonight just because *I* wanted to watch it, or does he truly enjoy the film as much as I do?
I got warm fuzzies when I saw that not only was he was watching it intently, he was smiling as he was watching. It was one of those definitive moments that told me I married the right guy :-).
Current Mood: CC is listening to:Nothing right now Carlos Mencia is performing at the Cannon Center in October. When Steve and I learned about it, we bought tickets right away, and we're sitting right in front. We love this guy. He may be brash, but man, he tells it like it is :-). Nothing's sacred to him :-). Behind his jokes you can tell he's got a pretty analytical mind :-).
If you've never seen Carlos Mencia in action, he's a Mexican comedian who has his own show on Comedy Central (Mind of Mencia). Here are clips of some of his stand-up routines (don't watch it when kids are in the room--he cusses like a sailor ;-)):
Current Mood: CC is listening to:Nothing right now This questionnaire has been making the rounds lately, so I thought I'd give it a shot :-).
1. Do you like cheese? Yes, I prefer Baby Swiss more than the others
2. Have you ever smoked heroin? No
3. Do you own a gun? No
4. Your favorite song? Changes depending on my mood, and sometimes I have weird moods. Right now Ritchie Valens' "Come On Let's Go" is stuck in my head.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? HATE my yearly physicals :-). Don't get me wrong, I like my doctor, I just hate the procedure :-).
6. What do you think of hotdogs? Love them :-). I have a weird way of eating them: skin first, then the rest :-).
7. Favorite Christmas song? Merry Christmas Darling by the Carpenters
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Coffee!
9. Can you do push-ups? The girly push-up--the one where you use your knees instead of your feet.
10. Favorite superhero? It's always been Psylocke from the X-Men -- what's not to love about a telekinetic British ninja who can summon psychic katanas? (Geek alert! Geek alert! :-))Second place goes to Voodoo of WildC.A.T.S.
11. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? Necklaces
12. Favorite hobby? Going on the web, shopping (when the budget allows for it :-)). Sometimes I combine the two: online shopping :-D
13. Secret weapon to get the opposite sex? Eyes, I guess
14. Do you have A.D.D.? No
15. What one trait do you hate about yourself? I can be sooooo lazy sometimes :-).
16. Middle name? Since I'm married, it's now Catanghal (before that, Cinco)
17. Name three thoughts at this exact moment. a. "Don't forget to Zumba" b. "It's 5:30 in the morning, I need coffee" c. "Hope my car turns out okay after the Carmax people check out what's going on with the 'Check Engine' light, and that it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg."
18. Name three things you bought yesterday. Radiator coolant, Motor oil, Half-and-half cream
19. Name three things you regularly drink. Coffee, Diet 7Up, Diet Mountain Dew
20. Current worry? Better question: "What am I NOT worrying about?" :-)
21. Current hate? My yearly physical (only because it's coming up :-))
22. Favorite place? Disneyland!!! :-D
23. How did you bring in the New Year? Slept in :-)
24. Where would you like to go? Disneyworld!!! :-D
25. Name three SEVEN people who will complete this and return. It's anybody's guess :-)
26. Do you own flip-flops? Yes--indoor and outdoor flip-flops :-).
27. What shirt are you wearing? White T-shirt that says "Cebu"
32. What songs do you sing in the shower room? Whatever's stuck in my head at that moment. Chances are today it's going to be Ritchie Valen's "Come On Let's Go" :-)..
33. Favorite girl's name? Good question--never really thought about it. Don't have one right now.
34. Favorite boy's name? That too.
35. What's in your pocket right now? Don't have any pockets right now
36. Last thing that made you laugh? A funny story about our dog
37. Best bed sheet as a child? No best bed sheet, but I had a favorite pillowcase
38. Worst injury you've ever had? Carpal tunnel
39. Do you love where you live? Absolutely--I'm going to miss it terribly when we move
40. How many computers do you have in your house? Two
41. Who is your loudest friend? Can't think of any right now
42. How many dogs do you have? Two: an Australian Shepherd named Katya and a Shetland Sheepdog named Jack
43. What is your favorite book? Don't have one
44. What is your favorite candy? Soft peppermints
45. Favorite Sports Teams? Used to be the Green Bay Packers, but Brett Favre left the team this year so I'm rooting for them plus the NY Jets too.
46. What song do you want played at your funeral? Brad Paisley's "When I Get Where I'm Going" -- it's the PERFECT song. Brings a lot of comfort to those left behind.
"When I get where I'm going, on the far side of the sky, the first thing I'm going to do is spread my wings and fly..." ..."I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy, and he'll match me step for step--and I'll tell him how I missed him, every minute since he left."
47. What were you doing 12 AM last night? I was sound asleep
48. What were you doing before you answered this? Checking email
49. Who is the person you want to talk to right now? Steve (but he's asleep)
50. What is the first thing you thought of when you woke up? "Doggone it, it's not Saturday." :-)