Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Saturday, November 01, 2008

While Watching the IRIS Orchestra...

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: The Travel Channel

A couple of things happened while I was watching the IRIS Orchestra rehearsal today :-).

At intermission, while the orchestra was taking a breather, a gentleman walked up to me (I was sitting in the middle row on the orchestra level). "Hi, are you CC?"

First thought: Oh my God what did I do? "Yes, yes I am."

He extended his hand. "My name is Petra Herber. I'm the manager of the IRIS Orchestra. I just wanted to let you know I read your blog this morning."

Holy cow. I shook his hand, smiling widely as I said hello.

"And I wanted to thank you for the nice things you said about the Orchestra."

Holy freakin' cow!

I was stunned, and excited at the same time. The manager of the Iris Orchestra talking to me! He was very nice, telling me about the upcoming shows and everything. And I told him about how much I enjoy watching the rehearsals not just because of the music, but because I get to see the interactions between the musicians and the conductor, which is an extra treat. He told me that he recognized me because of the picture on my blog.

We didn't talk for very long, and we said goodbye shortly after that, but I thought it was SO cool that I was able to meet the Iris Orchestra manager because of something that *I* wrote on my blog :-). That was awesome :-).

Now the second thing happened while the Orchestra was practicing Schubert's Symphony No. 3. This was after the intermission, and by this time some of the patrons had left for lunch, so there weren't as many people in the theater.

I'm not familiar with Symphony No.3, but it was a fun piece. It also required the use of the kettle drums, and it's always so much more powerful for me when kettle drums are part of the picture. I found myself holding my breath a few times as they played that first section.

As soon as the Orchestra ended that segment, I started clapping enthusiastically.

Alone.

No one else clapped with me.

It was like being in a comedy movie. It sounded like this: "CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! ... CLAP... clap... clap......... clap....... clap."

And if THAT wasn't embarrassing enough, the conductor TURNED around and looked at me. Some of the MUSICIANS turned and looked right at me.

I shrugged sheepishly.

"Sorry..." I told them. "That was just me............. I loved it :-)."

My voice echoed in the theater. Naturally.

The only thing missing from this embarrassing situation was the classic lone cough in the silence.

Hey, it was a great piece, darnit :-). It may have been embarrassing, but I don't regret clapping :-).

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 3:25 PM | 0 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry