Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Monday, April 05, 2010

Lovin' Technology

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: Somewhere--Jim Chappell (Sad Music Moods)


Technology is just awesome.  I'm the last person to call myself a full-fledged expert in technology, but it's both exciting and scary at the same time how technology has become so much a part of my everyday life. 

Recently I replaced my Google Voice Number (click here to see my blog entry about Google Voice).  It's now +1-260-CCSLISH.  Granted, it's not a Nashville area code (Nashville's area code is 615).  As a matter of fact, 260 is in Uniondale, Indiana...and as of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 277--yes that's right, 277.  Below is a picture of what the main street intersection looks like in Uniondale (you can click and drag your mouse from left to right to rotate the view):


View Larger Map

And now I own a phone number located in Uniondale, Indiana.  For free. Thanks to Google Voice.  A few years ago I'd have to pay through the nose to get a vanity number. 

Another thing I was able to do this weekend was finally understand what a Skype-to-Go number was.  For months, I've been using Skype to call family in Manila (it's not the cheapest VOIP provider, but voice quality's the clearest), and for a while I've known that there was such a thing as a Skype-to-Go number, but I never really fully understood what it did until this weekend. 

What I used to do is that if I needed to call family, I would boot up my machine, log in to Skype, put on my headset, and then use my computer to make the call.

A Skype-to-Go number allows me to make Skype calls using a conventional telephone--no computer required.  I'm assigned a local Skype number to call, and then when I call that Skype number from my cell, Skype will act as a bridge and connect me to my parents' home or cell phone in Manila.

This means I'm paying cheaper Skype rates (because I'm making an international call through Skype, not through my cellphone company) but because I'm using my cellphone as the actual calling device, I'm not forced to stay in front of my laptop.  I can walk around the apartment as much as I want.  "But you'd still end up paying for cellphone minutes," you say.  Nope.  My phone plan's unlimited T-mobile to T-mobile, nights & weekends.  I just need to make sure to call my parents during the weekend :-).

If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be able to do all this stuff I'd laugh and go, "Shyeah right, tell me another one."  :-)

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 8:20 PM | 0 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry