Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Monday, March 02, 2009

The Naturalization Interview

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: Nothing right now

I had my naturalization interview scheduled at 10:55am today, and I made it there with 20 minutes to spare. I think I spent about an hour waiting, because I was out of there by noon and the entire interview only took about 15 minutes tops.

The USCIS officer has you take an oath to tell the truth, much like what you see on TV. Then the officer asks for your green card, driver's license and passport. Then the officer reviews some of the information in your N-400 application (spouse's name, where you live, where you work, how often you've traveled, things like that). After that, the officer asks you in person most of the questions that you answered on the N-400 including:

Once that's done, you're asked to read one to three sentences out loud. Then you're asked to write one sentence in English (the officer dictates the sentence, you write it down). Then the officer gives you up to 10 civics questions, of which you're supposed to answer 6 correctly. I was getting the questions right, so I think she stopped at 7. If she asked me more questions, I don't remember what they were. The questions I remember being asked were:

But there are 100 possible questions you get asked, so it was safer to just memorize them all :-).

Then she asked me to write my name on two of the passport pictures I submitted, she stapled them to my application, then she filled out a piece of paper and said that I passed and to look out for the letter telling me when and where the oathtaking is going to be. She said it'll take a few months. This is what the results sheet looks like (I smudged out the identifying information):




I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't take TOO long before I get the letter :-).

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 1:06 PM | 0 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry