Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Monday, March 09, 2009

Watched the Watchmen

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: The Only One--Chicago (The Heart of Chicago: 1967-1997)

We saw the Watchmen movie yesterday. I had written in a past blog entry that I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it after seeing the preview and reading the graphic novel, but was kind of hopeful that the story would look better on screen.

It did look better on the big screen :-). Steve and I agreed that Zack Snyder did a very good job condensing the story and cutting out material that wasn't necessary. There were some departures from the comic, but I think I heard Snyder say in a TV interview some time ago that he hopes that fans will understand, when they get to the end, why it had to be done. And I agree that his change (the "doomsday" vehicle was explosions in several world cities vs. the original vehicle of a giant octopus destroying New York) worked much better.

I liked the fight scenes with Nite Owl and Silk Spectre. I thought it was pretty cool that, even though Nite Owl cared for Silk Spectre, when it came to fighting together he doesn't "check up on her." When they were doing that prison fight scene, at one point Nite Owl was walking in front and Silk Spectre brought up the rear--they were walking down the hall and fighting bad guys the whole way. He didn't look back at her even once to see if she needed help. It sounds like a very trivial thing to like, but it was the most equal treatment of a male-female tandem fist fight that I've seen :-).

Here's a clip of that part. It looked more dramatic on the big screen, though.



That smile they shared before the fight was cute :-). And it reinforces a thought that stays with you throughout the movie: that if you're going to be a superhero, part of you has got to be a *little* psycho.

Oh, and I want to know where she buys her shampoo and conditioner :-).

I'd write more about the film, but I'm kind of running late for work. I might continue this entry later on. Might not. We'll see :-).

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 6:50 AM | 2 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry