Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Friday, March 13, 2009

Sake Chazuke

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: Precious Memories--Jim Chappell (The Earthsea Series)

Steve and I have Japanese neighbors, and we're currently in a "gift war" with them :-). You know how it goes: first someone gives a gift to you, then you give a gift back, and then they give a gift back to you, so forth and so on. It's gotten to the point that when they go to Japan, they often bring us back something, and when I go to Manila, we often give them something :-).

I think part of the coolness of it all is that Steve and I both like a lot of things about Japan. One of our dreams is to one day have enough money to be able to take a leisurely, no-expense-barred two-week vacation in Tokyo :-). That'd be SO awesome.

Anyway, it's kind of fun to be able to practice a few Japanese phrases with them, and to be able to introduce Filipino things to them like barquillos, dried mangoes, barquiron, and a lot of other things that the Philippines is known for. And in turn, we get to experience a lot of new Japanese things too. This latest thing that we got (I got it as part of a "Happy Girl's Day" gift) I've become addicted to. It's called sake chazuke, and it's great.


Each packet has seasoning and dehydrated bits of rice crackers, red salmon, and seaweed. What you do is sprinkle the whole thing over some leftover rice, pour some hot water or green tea on it, and you've got rice soup. I like it so much that I ended up eating them two packets at a time (hey, it's pointless to fight it--I eat one, I know I'm going end up going back for a second one anyway :-)).

Steve likes it too (not that he's ever gotten to have one all to himself :-)). You can probably guess that I've used up all the sake chazuke, but the good news is I'm able to order them online. I'm patiently waiting for my shipment to arrive from San Francisco :-).

{playfully shakes my fist in the air} Curse you, nice Japanese neighbors :-)!

Labels: ,



Posted by Unknown | 10:44 AM | 0 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry