Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Thursday, May 14, 2009

Star Trek on a Wednesday

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: Nothing right now

I took a personal day yesterday so Steve and I could spend some additional time together. We went and watched Star Trek. Since we watched the first showing on a Wednesday, you can be pretty sure that there weren't too many people in the theater :-). The only other people in there were a few seniors and, of course, other geeks that could afford to wait and watch it when it wasn't crowded :-).

It was actually kind of fun :-). That kind of environment made it more okay for me to laugh and cheer because I knew that the only other people within earshot were other geeks that knew what I was talking/cheering about. Take, for example, the time when Bones McCoy joined the movie. Ten minutes after watching him talk, I turned to Steve and said, "Oh my god, he talks just like DeForest Kelley!"

And the guy in front of me, someone we've never met, laughed and said, "Yeah, he does :-)!"

I must've been talking louder than I thought. Normally I'd be embarrassed by that, but I wasn't, because there was an appreciation of what I just said :-).

It was that way for the rest of the movie too. We all cheered when Simon Pegg came on. When a group was put together for a mission, Steve and I both pointed at the screen and recognized the "Expendable Crew Member." We all laughed and clapped when Bones said, "Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" And when Scotty said in that trademark Scottish accent, "I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain!" we laughed and clapped again. I hope the seniors weren't too upset :-). Then again, they must have recognized those lines too if they watched the 60s series.

And then when the movie was over, everyone simply got up, said something about how great a movie it was, and went their separate ways :-). It was fun :-). I don't think it would have been that much fun if we watched it as soon as it got out. Waiting a few days and watching it on a weekday made it less of a "geekfest" and more a "private viewing among geeks"--if that makes sense :-).

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 6:07 AM | 0 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry