Marriage License by Norman Rockwell
Click the picture for an unonbstructed view
Source: Art.com
Featured:

CC's Random Thoughts
Franklin, TN, USA Manila, Philippines

           Temperature:

As of :           

           Temperature:

As of :           

Click for Franklin, Tennessee Forecast Click for Manila, Philippines Forecast

Background pictures illustrate current weather conditions


               CC's Tweets



Monday, November 16, 2009

Impromptu Musical Saturday

Current Mood:
CC is listening to: The Wanderer--Jim Chappell (Over the Top)


Saturday turned out to be an impromptu, musical day for me :-).   On Friday Steve came home with a page from the paper's Friday "what's-going-on-in-entertainment-this-week" flyer.  The Rippingtons were performing at the New Daisy Theater on Beale Street!


My brother Noel introduced me to The Rippingtons' music a few years ago and since then I've loved listening to them :-).  They've been around since 1986.  Heck Kenny G used to be a part of The Rippingtons :-).

They have seventeen albums to date (eighteen if you want to count their "Best of" CD). Listening to a Rippingtons album is like listening to a soundtrack of a specific place or event. My favorite one is Topaz--it's set in New Mexico and there is definitely a Southwestern flavor to the compositions: a wooden flute here, Spanish guitar there, there was even an eagle's cry at the beginning of one composition. It definitely brings up images of wide, rocky, orange landscapes. It's both a Spanish and Native American sound at the same time.



So naturally I had to get two tickets for Steve and me to see them Saturday night.

And then early Saturday morning I found out that the Germantown Performing Arts Center's Iris Orchestra had a show that night. And that usually means they have a rehearsal at 10am Saturday morning, which the general public can see for $10.  It doesn't usually matter to me what they're playing, it's just a really cool treat to be able to sit down in a theater and listen to them play.  I usually take some light work with me, but I always end up putting it down and just watch them instead :-).

So that was my Saturday: watch the orchestra practice in the morning, then watch a jazz concert at night :-).

Steve and I took pictures.



I was also able to capture a clip of them playing "Spirits of the Canyon," which is from their Topaz album :-). It shows just how talented all the musicians are :-). Sorry it stops after 4 minutes; my arm was getting tired :-D.

Labels:



Posted by Unknown | 9:53 AM | 3 Comments |
Write or read comments about this entry